Tips to Care For Your Gold Plated Jewelry
Gold plated jewelry is a lovely and affordable way to wear gold without breaking the bank. A thin layer of gold is applied over another metal, giving the wearer all the shine and beauty of gold without the high cost.
The gold plating is so thin that it is measured in microns (one millionth of a meter.) One ounce of gold can be hammered into a sheet that will cover nine square meters (96.9 square feet). As you can imagine, something so delicate requires good care to keep it looking its best.
We have some tips to help you keep your jewelry looking beautiful for years to come.
- Never wear your jewelry when you are swimming, as the chlorine will damage it.
- If you are exercising or doing something that makes you sweat, remove your jewelry.
- Put your jewelry on after you have applied makeup and perfume, not before.
- Keep your jewelry in a soft bag where it cannot rub up against other metals.
- Clean your jewelry using a soft cloth or cotton ball. This not only removes dirt but restores the shine.
- Do not use antibacterial soap or jewelry cleaners. Their makeup may be too harsh for the delicate gold plating and cause it to tarnish.
If your jewelry becomes tarnished or is damaged, it can be replated. This can be done at a jewelry store or with am 18 or 24k plating kit.
If taken care of properly your gold plated jewelry will enhance your wardrobe for years to come.